[External] Re: New test for patches in openbmc/openbmc

Ed Tanous edtanous at google.com
Sat Oct 9 04:35:20 AEDT 2021

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 1:31 AM Lei YU <mine260309 at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's noticed that the `repotest` is enabled in CI and we got CI
> failure due to node-manager's patch:
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/openbmc/+/47673
>
> I know the right way is to ask Intel to upstream the node-manager and
> fix the issues we met.
> But in reality it's not easy and it takes time for Intel to upstream a
> repo (and it depends on Intel to decide whether or not to upstream)

If this is something you need, there's no need to wait for Intel, as
that application already has an Apache 2 license.  You are free to
upstream it and maintain it yourself if you don't want to wait for
intel.

> @Ed Do we really want to reject such patches?

I don't want to reject patches, I want to see them on master in a way
that things can be changed as needs evolve.  This patch is a perfect
example of something that, had we taken the small amount of time to
upstream this small daemon, wouldn't have even been an issue now as
sdbusplus needs to make a very minor change.  As-is, we're effectively
2 levels of fork deep (openbmc upstream -> intel-bmc -> openbmc
upstream only for bytedance systems, which is the source of the
problem, not this patch itself.