Unix-mode newlines

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Sat Nov 13 09:49:31 AEDT 2021

Patrick Williams <patrick at stwcx.xyz> wrote:
    > Generally we've had a preference for Unix-style newlines (\n) and not DOS-style
    > newlines (\r\n), but it has never been documented.  I've recently found
    > a small number of files that are either DOS-style or mixed-styles and I've been
    > fixing them as I've ran into them.

Check out "man gitattributes"

You create a file like:
% cat .gitattributes
# Set the default behavior, in case people don't have core.autocrlf set.
* text=auto

# Explicitly declare text files you want to always be normalized and converted
# to native line endings on checkout.
*.yang text
*.txt text
*.md text
*.mkd text

and then git translates in/out.
Which is the default in the "repo" is up to you.
It takes a hit where many files with the "wrong" line endings have to
tweaked, but then it's done.