D-bus model proposal for pay for access features

Ed Tanous ed at tanous.net
Wed May 5 11:16:03 AEST 2021

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 2:18 PM Mike Jones <proclivis at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On May 4, 2021, at 11:02 AM, Ed Tanous <ed at tanous.net> wrote:

> > First of all, please avoid sending html emails if you can. They don't
> > render properly on everyone's workflows.
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 11:15 AM Ratan Gupta <ratankgupta31 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I would like to introduce a dbus model proposal around pay for access features.Normally IBM system ships with more hardware than was purchased, which can be unlocked later.
> >
> > It would be great to get a lot more background here.  On its nose,
> > this seems like this polar opposite of open firmware and something
> > that, if done wrong, could be very harmful to the goals of the
> > project.  Assuming you did this, wouldn't anyone be able to simply
> > recompile the code with the license checks disabled, load it on the
> > system, and enable whatever they want without licenses?  That seems
> > like something you didn't intend, and something that's less likely on
> > closed source firmware, but probably needs considered in this design.
> >
> > As-is, I'm not sure which side of the line I come down on, but my two
> > initial thoughts are:
> > 1. I don't want to support it or help the code in any way, but IBM can
> > check this into their own specific interfaces.
>
> Given that Redfish is a big tree of interfaces, is there a provision for custom interfaces?

Yes, the term to search for in the Redfish spec is "OEM" properties,
which the spec can do more justice than I can.

> For example, suppose I wanted some special ADI interface for some ADI functionality (like tell me the duty cycle of the PWM of regulator foo), assume it is public info/code for this discussion, is there a way to hook into the hierarchy and add interfacing without updating the Redfish specification?

In this example you wouldn't do that.  Fans are already well modeled
in Redfish, as are a lot of other things you're likely to do with a VR
(update firmware, stream telemetry values, monitor status, ect).

> Like is there a way to query and ask what special stuff is there and access it? Or knowing a prior where to look to access it?

Yes.  Oem extensions are the specifications answer.

> Are there OBMC principles on these kinds of extensions? Like it is allowed or not? Like one can bend the Redfish conventions or not?

Currently OEM policy is here, and can do more justice than I can.
https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/master/OEM_SCHEMAS.md

FWIW, I don't think we've arrived at the best policy in terms of OEM
schemas, but considering the influx of "should be standard" OEM
properties that were coming in, and the quality of them in general,
this was a necessary reaction (and has largely yielded positive
results IMO).  Like anything in OpenBMC, it is subject to evolve over
time and with more people's input.