D-bus model proposal for pay for access features

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Wed May 5 10:00:31 AEST 2021

On Tue, May 04, 2021 at 03:18:43PM -0600, Mike Jones wrote:

>> initial thoughts are:
>> 1. I don't want to support it or help the code in any way, but IBM can
>> check this into their own specific interfaces.
>
>Given that Redfish is a big tree of interfaces, is there a provision for custom interfaces?
Yes.

>For example, suppose I wanted some special ADI interface for some ADI functionality (like tell me the duty cycle of the PWM of regulator foo), assume it is public info/code for this discussion, is there a way to hook into the hierarchy and add interfacing without updating the Redfish specification?
Yes - Most(all?) redfish properties have an "OEM" property.

>Like is there a way to query and ask what special stuff is there and access it? Or knowing a prior where to look to access it?
>
>Are there OBMC principles on these kinds of extensions? Like it is allowed or not? Like one can bend the Redfish conventions or not?
Ed or Gunnar can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the current
rule is you have to make an attempt to get your "extensions" proposed to
the DMTF at a minimum, before it will be considered for inclusion as an
OEM property.  IBM and Intel do have a bunch of OEM properties that was
added before that rule went into effect.

>I have to assume that somebody has the need to do non-standard interfacing.

I would go a step further and say "most" or even "everyone" has this
need.

FWIW I have a love/hate relationship with this rule. I think its great
because it really forces you to get your content into the spec, and
thats good for OpenBMC and the industry.  I'm proud to say that IBM has
gotten piles of content into the spec in the last 12 months or so as a
direct result of this rule.

However, there is often still lots of other content that is absolutely
required in products and adding that content to the spec may just not be
a priority at the moment.  Also not everyone can invest in the resources
to participate in the DMTF.  I think it would be great if we could do
more to help these kinds of users (e.g. some kind of plug-in system).

-brad