Thoughts on performance profiling and tools for OpenBMC

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Wed Mar 24 02:00:18 AEDT 2021

On 3/22/21 5:05 PM, Sui Chen wrote:
> Hello OpenBMC Mailing List,
>
> This email is to discuss some thoughts and work in progress regarding
> the performance of BMC. We are aware performance has been brought up a
> few times in the past, so this document covers and keeps track of some
> recent work. The following is written according to the design doc
> format, but might still have some way to go before becoming a more
> concrete "set of benchmarks for OpenBMC". As such, any feedback is
> appreciated. Thanks for reading this!

Sui,

I believe there are tie-ins between performance and security.  For
example, if a BMC user can cause very bad performance or cause the BMC
to crash, the BMC will not be able to perform its primary function.
That constitutes a [denial of service][], a security issue.  So I am
interested in the outcome of BMC performance profiling (but don't have
resources to contribute).

More specifically, I believe there are tie-ins between the performance
profiling work and the threat modeling work.  Threat modeling needs an
architectural model of the interfaces within the BMC, for example, the
D-Bus and daemon layers.  The [security working group][] has started
modeling these interfaces, but making progress is hard (search for
"model" or "threat model").  I understand performance work also needs
similar models.  I am interested to see any architectural work you have
in this area.

Thank you!

Joseph

[denial of service]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack