ObjectMapper - quantity limitations?

Ambrozewicz, Adrian adrian.ambrozewicz at linux.intel.com
Wed Feb 10 02:36:21 AEDT 2021

W dniu 1/27/2021 o 18:14, Ed Tanous pisze:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 9:04 AM Ambrozewicz, Adrian
> <adrian.ambrozewicz at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm doing some performance measurements of OpenBMC telemetry subsystem.
>> I'm using my custom app, which spawns valid D-Bus Sensors, I configure
>> TelemetryService to monitor them and EventService to push MetricReports
>> to external server.
>
> Which sensor code are you using?

My homebrew app, which I run like so fake-sensors -c
"/xyz/openbmc_project/inventory/system/board/AC_Baseboard" --loglevel 1
--sensors {sensors_cnt} --interval {interval_ms} :)
It's just for tests.

>> I observe certain limitation on my system. Each sensor is mapped as two
>> objects in ObjectMapper hierarchy. It seems that I am able to correctly
>> create up to 1500 sensors. When I go above this limit part of the
>> sensors are not represented in ObjectMapper tree.
>
> When I wrote it originally, there were no arbitrary limits on how many
> objects the mapper could cache or return, but considering how big your
> limit.  You don't mention if you're seeing any errors in the
> journalctl log from either the broker or object manager.  That might
> give you more clues.

I've come back to the topic and I observe two kind of behaviors:
- mapperx crash (pretty rare)
- error "Error getting associations from ...".

The former still requires debugging, but for the latter I have simple
explanation - only one application spawns thousands of sensors and is
bombarding ObjectMapper with InterfaceAdded signals, while receiving
'Get' on Associations interface (and possibly other calls). I've
introduced a workaround - up to 3 retries of do_associations() on
ETIMEDOUT, which allowed mapperx to correctly consume 2000 sensors.

However, performance could be better. On AST2600 listing of 2000 sensors
by ObjectMapper takes 130s, 60s for 1000. Furthermore - it's just local
workaround for bigger problem - D-Bus scalability in embedded system.

It looks like sooner or later we need to figure out more lightweight IPC
for telemetry.

Regards,
Adrian