Request new repo for IBM-specific code

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Fri Mar 5 14:14:47 AEDT 2021

What is the right repository for a new Linux-PAM module to implement an
IBM-specific ACF authentication?

The access control file (ACF) design was introduced to the OpenBMC
security working group and is described in [IBM issue 1737][] and
further explained in [IBM issue 2562][].

Note the [pam-ipmi modules][] are scoped to the OpenBMC project because
the IPMI implementation is shared by all of OpenBMC.  By comparison, the
proposed ibm-pam-acf module is intended only for IBM Enterprise
systems.  The intended implementation is based on standard cryptography
techniques and could be developed into a general authentication
solution, but the ACF is specific to IBM in terms of its exact format
and content, and I expect it will only be used by IBM and its partners.

Can we create a new OpenBMC repo for this?  Perhaps ibm-pam-acf?  Or
should this go into some other repo?

- Joseph

[IBM issue 1737]: https://github.com/ibm-openbmc/dev/issues/1737
[IBM issue 2562]: https://github.com/ibm-openbmc/dev/issues/2562