Seeking your opinion on ways to report both Altitude and Pressure sensors for the DPS310 as well as Temperature from dbus-sensors.

Bruce Mitchell bruce.mitchell at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Jun 12 02:57:01 AEST 2021

On 6/2/2021 09:34, Bruce Mitchell wrote:
> On 6/2/2021 09:21, Ed Tanous wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 9:14 AM Bruce Mitchell
>> <bruce.mitchell at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

>>> I believe you did.

>>> So the DPS310 has 2 sensors in it a Pressure and a Temperature sensor.
>>> Do I create a Pressure reading and a Temperature reading for the DPS310
>>> and then add Altitude to it as well?
>>>
>>> Or do I create 3 separate things,  one for each Pressure, Temperature,
>>> and Altitude?
>>
>> Assuming in this case "things" are intended to mean "entity manager
>> exposes records" you would create one config record for the DPS310
>> itself (which would in turn create 2 sensors).  This is one "record"
>> because physically it's one part, and can't be separated, similar to a
>> TMP421.  After that, I would create another config record for the
>> "Here's the math to combine these into an altitude".  It might just be
>> a type and a name, depending on how many inputs go into the transfer
>> function to convert pressure+temperature into an altitude.
>>
>> If the math to combine into an altitude isn't system specific, I could
>> be convinced that the math should go into a single record within the
>> DPS310 exposes and have that live in the daemon itself, but I don't
>> have enough detail on how these are usually deployed to know that.
>>

> I prefer the the 2 record solution, it keeps the DPS310 self-contained.
> And keeps the Altitude self-contained, to the models can evolve and
> change; also if every a true altitude sensor were created it would help
> keep better abstraction from the DPS310.
>

>>> Also I believe I should be looking to the CFM sensor and Exit air
>>> temperature sensor as reference examples.

> Thank you Ed!

I would appreciate Gerrit reviews on a small addition for the
Nisqually Backplane entity-manager: Adds support for DPS310 Sensors
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/entity-manager/+/43416

This is record 1 of 2, record 1 is a prerequisite for 2.

Getting this merged up stream is preferable to patching
it in downstream.

Thank you.

--
Bruce