RDE Enablement

Ed Tanous edtanous at google.com
Fri Jun 11 06:32:12 AEST 2021

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 1:26 PM Garrett, Mike (HPE Server Firmware)
<mike.garrett at hpe.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm am interested to know if there has been any organized discussion or development on Redfish Device Enablement (RDE - DMTF DSP0218) for moving encoded Redfish data across PLDM/MCTP interfaces.  We are interested in promoting this standard and are willing to lead a reference implementation for OpenBMC if there is not yet something in progress.  If there is something in progress, can you point me at the work because I would love to see it.

We are interested in this as well, although we are in the early stages
of looking into it.  Ideally we'd like to have OpenBMC support add in
cards (NICs, Accelerators, ect) that supported this functionality, and
make that data available to the normal OpenBMC channels
(Redfish/ipmi/ect).

> What is the normal sequence for proposing, debating and finalizing major new features?

The mailing list tends to be a good choice for the very early
discussions.  https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/designs/design-template.md
tends to be a more formal process if that's what you're looking for.