`phosphor-logging` APIs (RFC)
patrick at stwcx.xyz
Wed Jul 28 06:24:14 AEST 2021
There have been discussions before on this mailing list about the APIs present
in phosphor-logging and some of the shortcomings they have. I've implemented a
new API, inside phosphor-logging, that I think resolves the issues discussed
here and in some offline forums.
If you have an interest in the logging APIs, I would appreciate any feedback you
may have. If there are additional issues with the APIs that I might have
missed, please feel free to let me know and I'll see what can be done about
lg2: introduce motivation and API
lg2: initial implementation of C++20 structured logging
The main highlights of what I attempted to fix are:
- Verbose and clumsy API for previous `logging::log`.
- Poor compile-time identification of certain (common) issues.
- Source location data is invalid (issue openbmc/openbmc#2207).
- Useful data is missing from `journalctl` resulting in people working
around it by generating strings with `fmt` et.al.
- No logging present when running on a TTY.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the openbmc