RDE Enablement

Ed Tanous edtanous at google.com
Thu Jul 22 00:16:56 AEST 2021

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 1:59 PM Garrett, Mike (HPE Server Firmware)
<mike.garrett at hpe.com> wrote:

> Great!  We are interested in RDE becoming ubiquitous on adapter cards so that Redfish configuration of storage and networking doesn't have to include adapter specific code.  A good success metric would be the ability to create a storage logical volume using nothing but standard Redfish operations.  In pursuit of this, a solid open source OpenBMC implementation seems like a good way to put RDE on the right footing.
>
> My initial thoughts would be to build an RDE systemd service on top of the existing pldmd service and have an upper interface into the standard dbus interfaces for inventory, status, and configuration.

Way late here:

This is one part that I've wondered about quite a bit:  How do we keep
the existing PLDM things viable, without duplicating all of the
Redfish code between them?  What component owns the "source of truth"
for the Redfish tree?  In addition, how do we shuttle redfish-specific
data between the various applications that now need them?  Going
through dbus would imply that we either write a redfish specific
interface, kind of like we did for IPMI/IPMB, or we have 1:1 with dbus
interfaces to redfish interface, which seems unlikely.

>  However, I suspect there's some additional dbus work needed to join RDE to bmcweb because there will be a need to dynamically change the Redfish model and support things like Actions.

Yep, this would likely involve some changes to make the router
modifiable at runtime to add and remove the appropriate routes as
devices are detected.