OpenBMC Logging Implementations: Interfaces and Error Messaging

Matt Spinler mspinler at linux.ibm.com
Wed Jan 27 02:56:12 AEDT 2021

On 1/25/2021 1:47 PM, Ed Tanous wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 11:05 AM Giles, Joshua <Joshua.Giles at dell.com> wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>

>> We’re hoping to get clarity in two areas of Logging with the aim of proposals to benefit all.
>>
>> These are interfaces and error messaging…
>>

>> Logging interfaces

>> Webui-vue appears to only display redfish Event Logging whereas “legacy” phosphor-logging is used by things such as generating SNMP traps.
>>

>> Question: Will legacy event logging be deprecated in OpenBMC in favor of Redfish logging?  If not, do we merely access legacy logging out-of-band via rsyslog?

I'll just mention that at the very least IBM will be using the
phosphor-logging event logs for the foreseeable future due to some
requirements on how we handle service for HW errors.  bmcweb already has
the ability to convert those event logs into Redfish logservice events.
At the moment they aren't combined with a message registry, but we plan
to eventually add that.