OpenBMC Logging Implementations: Interfaces and Error Messaging

Ed Tanous edtanous at google.com
Tue Jan 26 06:47:37 AEDT 2021

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 11:05 AM Giles, Joshua <Joshua.Giles at dell.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>

> We’re hoping to get clarity in two areas of Logging with the aim of proposals to benefit all.
>
> These are interfaces and error messaging…
>

> Logging interfaces
>
> ===============
>
> Webui-vue appears to only display redfish Event Logging whereas “legacy” phosphor-logging is used by things such as generating SNMP traps.
>

> Question: Will legacy event logging be deprecated in OpenBMC in favor of Redfish logging?  If not, do we merely access legacy logging out-of-band via rsyslog?
>

> Error Messaging
>
> =============
>
> There appears to be some duplicate/unique error messages amongst the two implementations:
>
> Phosphor-dbus-interfaces: e.g. https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/blob/master/xyz/openbmc_project/Sensor/Threshold/Critical.interface.yaml
> Redfish message registry: e.g. https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/34510/4/redfish-core/include/registries/openbmc_message_registry.hpp (SensorThreshHoldCriticalGoingHigh)
>

> Question: Will the unique “legacy” errors defined in the phosphor-dbus-interfaces be available in the redfish message registry?  Is there a plan to consolidate these moving forward?

I have no plans for this, nor have I seen a design for consolidating
the two.  Today, they're different because Redfish log endpoints have
very different requirements than phosphor-logging interfaces were able
to provide, with that said, I'm open to there being a much simpler
design that could work well here, I just haven't applied a lot of
brainpower to trying to get them consolidated.