taking actions on thermal issues

Matt Spinler mspinler at linux.ibm.com
Fri Jan 8 02:42:46 AEDT 2021

Hi,

As I mentioned in
https://lore.kernel.org/openbmc/d8116efd-678c-2450-1756-a0bacc470858@linux.ibm.com/,
I need to take several different actions based on various sensor
thresholds (just temperature for now) in the system.  The actions are
things like:

* a hard power off after staged delays based on threshold alarms
* different phosphor-logging event logs based on which threshold alarm trips
* possibly setting other D-Bus properties to alert of things like throttling

I plan on putting this in a thermal-monitor app in the
phosphor-fan-presence repo (this hopefully-soon-to-be-renamed repo
already has multiple selectable applications and does more than fan
presence).

The actions it takes will be selectable somehow, and if other people
need to do other sorts of similar things, I think they could be added in
here as well.

Thanks!
Matt