Virtual Media repository request

Czarnowski, Przemyslaw przemyslaw.hawrylewicz.czarnowski at linux.intel.com
Tue Dec 14 06:17:27 AEDT 2021

On 11.12.2021 22:13, Ed Tanous wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 7:52 AM Hawrylewicz Czarnowski, Przemyslaw
> <przemyslaw.hawrylewicz.czarnowski at intel.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I would like to request for new Virtual Media service repository (based on the design document located here: https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/designs/virtual-media.md).
>
> Considering that the virtual media already uses pieces of
> functionality from the old virtual media, why wouldn't this just go in
> https://github.com/openbmc/jsnbd
>
> Ideally we shouldn't need two different virtual media implementations,
> and my understanding is that the "new" one is a complete replacement
> for jsnbd, while still using the javascript portions of it;  Moving
> the implementation there will simplify when people look for virtual
> media, and will promote the reuse of code, so I think that's what we
> should do.

I think it depends. From my perspective, mixing javascript and service
code is not a good thing. They come from different origins and does
quite different job (even if they are connected together)

Moreover virtual media service if far more than the current
implementation. Old functionality is just at least 1/4 of the
possibilities of new service.

This is, of course, my personal insight. There are more competent people
with wider background in OpenBMC to make the final decision.

Przemek

--
Best regards,
Przemyslaw Czarnowski