Virtual Media repository request

i.kononenko i.kononenko at yadro.com
Thu Dec 9 21:41:40 AEDT 2021

Hello!

Here I have some points about the Virtual Media feature.
Some time ago I have worked to improve virtual media, in the YADRO we implement
the feature based on the `Intel-BMC/provingground/virtual-media` implementation.

Since the project was not be upstreamed, that was our private changes.
Today we have the good news, the project will be published and I guess our changes
could be provided too.

On 09.12.2021 11:56, Czarnowski, Przemyslaw wrote:
> On 08.12.2021 17:56, Patrick Williams wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 07, 2021 at 03:50:47PM +0000, Hawrylewicz Czarnowski, Przemyslaw wrote:
>>
>> Hello Przemyslaw,
>>
>> Thank you for wanting to work at getting this code mainlined.  I know there has
>> been quite a bit of interest from various people outside Intel.
>>
>>> I would like to request for new Virtual Media service repository (based on the design document located here: https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/designs/virtual-media.md).
>>
>> I know you've got a pending commit to update some pieces of this design.  Since
>> none of the code has been submitted since the design was originally written, do
>> we need anyone to re-read it and see if anything has changed in the rest of the
>> codebase that needs design updates?
>
> The code base for VM is "live" at the moment and besides asynchronousness nothing needs to be updated at the moment.
>
> There is a limitation for DVD iso's which lies in USB gadget and how it is implemented, so maybe there could be some kind of note about that.

Some months ago I published changes for the kernel:usb-gadget:mass-storage that aims
to support CD/DVD/BD media types (based on the image size).
The work has not been completed, the changes require to be properly formed. Looks
like the publishing virtual media repository is a good point to actualize that patch
series.

Please, feel free to suggest helpful notes to improve a VM consumer interface; e.g.
I still don't know how to better determine VM-image type - by the image size, how I
did, or by sysfs interface(like the `cdrom` is specified).

>>> The service itself is a reworked Virtual Media which early stage is available here: https://github.com/Intel-BMC/provingground.
>>>

>> What did you have in mind for maintainer structure on this?  I'd ideally like to
>> see someone outside of Intel be a co-maintainer with you since:
>>
>>    - This code was initially written as experimental Intel-only repository
>>      without any community feedback and
>>    - The current code hasn't been touched in 2 years and best practices have
>>      likely changed.
>>    - You're not currently a maintainer on any other repositories.
>
> The code base exposed in provingground was under the development at that moment and actually shouldn't be submitted. The code is updated now (still needs some polishing I suppose) but I am ready to push updated sources and ask the community to review it.
>
> Right now I am the main person for VM in Intel, but actually I was thinking about some co-maintainership in case there are other parties willing to have contribution in the code. This could be worked out during review process.

Since I have some work to support VM and have examined the virtual-media implementation
by Intel I could contribute them.

--
Best regards,

Igor Kononenko