Question about NVMe MCTP in dbus-sensors

Jeremy Kerr jk at codeconstruct.com.au
Fri Aug 6 15:40:01 AEST 2021

Hi Heyi,

> We can see that NVMe sensors in dbus-sensors relies on MCTP to get
> hardware information. It is using libmctp interfaces to initialize
> MCTP and SMBus. However I don't find the code or component who is
> responsible as a bus owner, to discover endpoints, manager EID and
> update routing table.

So we're working on this at the moment.

The new design is here:

  https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/designs/mctp/mctp-kernel.md

The MCTP core patches have been accepted to the upstream kernel, and
we're finishing up the i2c/SMBus binding driver at the moment:

 https://github.com/CodeConstruct/linux/tree/dev/mctp-i2c-mux

The prototype userspace support code is here:

  https://github.com/CodeConstruct/mctp

- which includes the control protocol implementation (mctpd) for
endpoint discovery, routing table updates, etc.

The switch over from the demux-based approach to the kernel sockets
interface should be fairly straightforward, but Intel are working on a
library to abstract that.

Cheers,

Jeremy