Question about NVMe MCTP in dbus-sensors

Heyi Guo guoheyi at linux.alibaba.com
Fri Aug 6 15:17:42 AEST 2021

Hi,

We can see that NVMe sensors in dbus-sensors relies on MCTP to get
hardware information. It is using libmctp interfaces to initialize MCTP
and SMBus. However I don't find the code or component who is responsible
as a bus owner, to discover endpoints, manager EID and update routing
table. Isn't necessary for a central component to do such things? Will
there be access conflict if non-NVMe devices (MCTP capable) are also
connected to the same SMBus?

We also found another implementation from Intel:
https://github.com/Intel-BMC/pmci. It implements mctpd to provide MCTP
message transfer interfaces on D-Bus, while PLDM, NVME-MI and others can
rely on the D-Bus interfaces instead of libmctp. In my opinion it seems
to be a more mature solution for MCTP and higher PCMI management models.
Is there any plan to accept such implementations into the mainline?

Thanks,

Heyi