Enabling pmbus power control

Zev Weiss zev at bewilderbeest.net
Wed Apr 21 04:54:10 AEST 2021

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 12:15:40PM CDT, Mark Brown wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 11:40:24AM -0500, Zev Weiss wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 11:13:18AM CDT, Mark Brown wrote:
>
>> > I already suggested writing a driver or drivers that represent the
>> > hardware you have, that advice remains.  It's hard to follow what you
>> > were trying to say with your long mail earlier today but it seems like
>
>> That email was an attempt to explain why writing a driver for the specific
>> hardware devices we're powering seems like a poor fit to me.  To summarize:
>
>>  - There's a wide variety of different devices potentially behind an
>> LM25066.
>
>This is true for lots of hardware, we still integrate things into
>frameworks.
>
>>  - A hypothetical driver for any one of them would be completely
>> non-specific to that device and functionally identical to a driver    for
>> any other, because the only hardware it would actually be    touching is the
>> LM25066, and in ways that are again completely    non-specific to anything
>> but the LM25066 itself.
>
>I don't see why that would be the case at all.  Even within the indended
>application as a power controller for a hotpluggable bus there's plenty
>of potential for integration into a wider representation of the socket
>things get inserted into - for example I've worked with buses that had
>support for operator signalling of hotplug (buttons to press to initiate
>hot removal, with lights to signal when a clean shutdown of the card had
>been completed), you might also want to have additional environment
>monitoring and of course the labelling that I mentioned in an earlier
>post.  I can imagine you probably have some other connection of some
>kind to the host too (eg, network ports) to join up and perhaps sync
>hotplug for.

Consider the power shelf I mentioned earlier -- it's a rackmount power
supply and that's about it.  It provides DC power to arbitrary devices
that it has no other connection to, just ground and +12V.  Those devices
might be servers, or cooling fans, or vacuum cleaners or floodlights --
the power shelf doesn't know, or care.  It's a lot like a switchable
network PDU in that it just provides a way for an operator to remotely
cut power to a thing that's plugged into it.  There's no other bus or
anything in the picture.  (And pragmatically, given that its most common
usage is likely to be to provide a cold power cycle as a last-ditch
recovery option when things are wedged in some unresponsive state,
attempting any sort of coordination with the downstream device would
probably be a dead end anyway.)

Zev