Difficulty booting on Raspberry Pi 4.

Cheng Yang cyang999 at apple.com
Thu Sep 24 03:36:03 AEST 2020

Hi,  I’m openbmc noob here.

I follow the instruction of https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/master/meta-raspberrypi/README.md <https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/master/meta-raspberrypi/README.md>

After 2.5 hours everything built, (I used either x86 ubuntu 18.04 or 20.04 same result)
However after I copied to the image to micro SD, raspberry Pi 4 won’t boot.
No video output, no serial output at all.  (The board works fine with ubuntu 18.04.)

Any tip/cheat sheet to get openbmc running on Raspberry Pi 4?

The steps I did, anything I missed? Is the recipe correct?
git clone the openbmc code.
source poky/oe-init-build-env rpi-build  <==  yes I did this.
Add this layer to bblayers.conf and the dependencies above  <== yes I added /var/openbmc/openbmc/meta-raspberrypi (where I’m using /var/openbmc as the source code dir.)
Set MACHINE in local.conf to one of the supported boards  <== I added MACHINE ??= “raspberrypi4” (replacing the original qemu line)
bitbake core-image-base  <==  went through, only 5 warnings, no error, everything successful.
Use bmaptool to copy the generated .wic.bz2 file to the SD card  <== with “sudo ~/bmap-tools/bmaptool copy core-image-base-raspberrypi4.wic.bz2 /dev/sdc1” no error copied successfully.
Boot your RPI  <==  nothing happen, no VGA, can’t be ping’ed, no console serial output either (no uboot messages).

Any tip/pointer will be greatly appreciated.

Cheng