Enable UBI support for a platform

Kun Zhao zkxz at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 18 16:37:38 AEST 2020

Hi Adriana, Deepak,

On 9/16/20 1:05 PM, Adriana Kobylak wrote:

>>> . done
>>> UBI init error 12
>>> Error, no UBI device/partition selected!
>>> Wrong Image Format for bootm command
>>> ERROR: can't get kernel image!
>>>
>>> Any thought?
>>
>> Some thoughts:
>>
>> - Have you validated your recipe and device tree changes by trying to
>> boot on QEMU an existing supported platform (for eg
>> Romulus/Tiogapass)?

Hi Deepak,

I've tried qemu with romuslus/tiogapass machine type, but still has the same problem. I'm using 2.9-dev branch latest code, does it matter?

>> - I don't think not having the partitions for the alt side in your
>> devicetree should be a problem, unless the BMC is actually switching
>> to the secondary flash. 'md.l 0x1e785030 1' at the u-boot prompt can
>> tell us the boot side.
>>
>> Adriana - do you have any thoughts on this problem?
>>

> Check if you can list the ubi partitions from u-boot:
>
> ast# ubi part obmc-ubi
> ast# ubi info layout
>
> It should print some output like this:
>
> Volume information dump:
>         vol_id          0
>         name            kernel-3a859116
> Volume information dump:
>         vol_id          1
>         name            rofs-3a859116
>

> Check that the kernel name on that output is "kernel-3a859116" which is the value that your kernelname variable is set to,

Hi Adriana,

Here is the output,

ast# ubi part obmc-ubi
ubi0: attaching mtd1
ubi0: scanning is finished
UBI init error 12
ast# ubi info layout
Error, no UBI device/partition selected!
ast# print kernelname
kernelname=kernel-a39b2d07
ast#

Seems ubi can't find any valid ubi partitions. What's the error 12?

> and also check that the rofs volume is in volume 1 since the root and ubiblock variables are set to (primary chip (0) volume 1 (ubiblock=0,1)).

And how to check rofs volume index?

BTW, Adriana, could you also take a look at this email thread https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2020-September/022834.html? It was why I was going to enable ubifs but I'm not sure if ubifs can solve that problem.

Kun