Enable UBI support for a platform

Adriana Kobylak anoo at linux.ibm.com
Thu Sep 17 06:05:48 AEST 2020

>> . done
>> UBI init error 12
>> Error, no UBI device/partition selected!
>> Wrong Image Format for bootm command
>> ERROR: can't get kernel image!
>>
>> Any thought?
>
> Some thoughts:
>
> - Have you validated your recipe and device tree changes by trying to
> boot on QEMU an existing supported platform (for eg
> Romulus/Tiogapass)?
>
> - I don't think not having the partitions for the alt side in your
> devicetree should be a problem, unless the BMC is actually switching
> to the secondary flash. 'md.l 0x1e785030 1' at the u-boot prompt can
> tell us the boot side.
>
> Adriana - do you have any thoughts on this problem?

Check if you can list the ubi partitions from u-boot:

ast# ubi part obmc-ubi
ast# ubi info layout

It should print some output like this:

Volume information dump:
         vol_id          0
         name            kernel-3a859116
Volume information dump:
         vol_id          1
         name            rofs-3a859116

Check that the kernel name on that output is "kernel-3a859116" which is
the value that your kernelname variable is set to, and also check that
the rofs volume is in volume 1 since the root and ubiblock variables are
set to (primary chip (0) volume 1 (ubiblock=0,1)).