PECI patchset status

Mihm, James james.mihm at intel.com
Fri Sep 11 11:19:47 AEST 2020

[James Mihm]
As a product development team, we need to balance between product deliverables and upstreaming. Where product deliverables and schedules have taken priority over upstreaming.
We are working on a prioritized kernel upstreaming plan and will be sharing with the community after internal reviews.

Regarding the PECI v11 driver, the kernel maintainers reached out to us with additional requirements before we could proceed with v12. We are taking steps to meet those requirements.

The Intel fork of openbmc/linux is to allow anyone needing to build openbmc for an Intel server and to be able to do so without having to apply patches. Placing the burden of maintaining the 84+ Intel patches against the kernel on ourselves while working through the upstreaming process. Intel would own rebasing the Intel fork with openbmc/linux. The lifespan of this fork would be as short as possible and is dependent upon our execution to upstream our patchsets.

Would it be acceptable for all of the 84+ Intel patches to reside in the openbmc repo while we work through the upstreaming process?
Some of the patches require design changes and will take much longer to upstream.

James