u-boot branches

Dan Zhang dz4list at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 06:00:07 AEDT 2020

We have two options to pick up changes from Aspeed and upstream.
1. Be closer to Aspeed temporary:
 Rebase OpenBMC u-boot changes to aspeed-master-v2019.04, with CIT ( daily
or at least weekly). After the aspeed-master-v2019.04 activity slowed down,
which means the u-boot for AST2600 from Aspeed SDK is getting stable, we
start the effort to upstream the changes.

2. Be closer to upstream:
OpenBMC takes yocto u-boot branch, submit to OpenBMC u-boot branch,
will target upstream immediately.

option-1: get changes from Aspeed is easy, but in this case we need some
important feature / patch from upstream, we need back ports.

option-2: get changes from Aspeed will need more effort than just a simple
cherry pick.

Considering Aspeed is still developing both the AST2600 chip and SDK, I
would like to vote for option-1, as now, there will be much more changes
needed from Aspeed instead of from upstream.

BRs
Dan Zhang