[Announce] OpenBMC Discord Community

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Fri Nov 20 09:10:32 AEDT 2020

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 12:51:05PM -0800, Bills, Jason M wrote:
> On 11/12/2020 6:57 AM, Patrick Williams wrote:
> However, I hit a situation today that was unexpected.  At its prompting,
> I installed the desktop app and got connected there instead of through
> the browser.  From there, I noticed that the app allows voice chatting
> that appears to be always enabled, but my microphone was muted, so I
> didn't think anything of it.
>
> I booted my system today and Discord started up and connected on its own
> which I expected.  However, I was halfway through an internal meeting
> when I realized that the microphone had defaulted to unmuted.  I don't
> know if it was broadcasting.
>
> Looking through the settings, I don't see a way to disable audio by
> default or an easy way to switch it on and off.  While looking for the
> audio settings, I also found settings for screen capturing but no clear
> way to disable it.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations on how to configure Discord to allow
> the communication features we want but disable any background sharing or
> broadcasting?  Maybe using only the browser would disable some of the
> sharing features I see in the app?

Hi Jason,

I don't recall seeing you in any of the voice channels so I don't think
anything was broadcast.  A few suggestions:

   - Make sure you are not joined to one of the Voice Channels, unless
     you are explicitly wanting to.  The Voice Channels are the only
     place where voice/video are shared.

   - Configure Voice Input Mode to 'Push to Talk' instead of 'Voice
     Activity'.
        - Settings -> Voice and Video -> Input Mode (Push to Talk).
        - This will ensure you are not able to broadcast unless pressing
          your push-to-talk key binding.  I have mine set to Right-Alt.

--
Patrick Williams