[Announce] OpenBMC Discord Community

Bills, Jason M jason.m.bills at linux.intel.com
Fri Nov 20 07:51:05 AEDT 2020

On 11/12/2020 6:57 AM, Patrick Williams wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> TL;DR: I have created an OpenBMC Discord community as a modern alternative to
> IRC.  Please join at https://discord.gg/69Km47zH98 .  I've included some FAQs
> below.

I successfully joined the Discord community using the link above.
Joining was easy, and so far (first impressions), the app looks good and
seems to have some really nice features.

However, I hit a situation today that was unexpected.  At its prompting,
I installed the desktop app and got connected there instead of through
the browser.  From there, I noticed that the app allows voice chatting
that appears to be always enabled, but my microphone was muted, so I
didn't think anything of it.

I booted my system today and Discord started up and connected on its own
which I expected.  However, I was halfway through an internal meeting
when I realized that the microphone had defaulted to unmuted.  I don't
know if it was broadcasting.

Looking through the settings, I don't see a way to disable audio by
default or an easy way to switch it on and off.  While looking for the
audio settings, I also found settings for screen capturing but no clear
way to disable it.

Does anyone have recommendations on how to configure Discord to allow
the communication features we want but disable any background sharing or
broadcasting?  Maybe using only the browser would disable some of the
sharing features I see in the app?

Thanks!
-Jason