Redfish: Disable/enable out of band IPMI

Thomaiyar, Richard Marian richard.marian.thomaiyar at linux.intel.com
Sun May 17 14:36:12 AEST 2020

Hi Tom,

Answers inline.

Regards,

Richard

On 5/15/2020 5:35 PM, TOM JOSEPH wrote:

> Hello AppaRao/Richard,
>
> I took a stab at service-config-manager. Got it running on one of our
> systems. Thanks for upstreaming it. Few questions i had:
>
> 1) Are the Redfish changes yet to be upstreamed?
> https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/commit/ec4974dd6a419b7f5556d4dcf4b8b836b5efbbd9
> Why did we not leverage service-config-manager for the Get method?

[Richard]: In order to make use of Get method which is applicable to
community, directly used the systemd query implementation, instead of
service-config-manager as it was not used by all.
> 2) For the Patch method, do you have code yet to be upstreamed? If so
> I will be interested in consuming it. Otherwise I can pick it up (This
> is something which I am pursuing
> https://github.com/ibm-openbmc/dev/issues/513).

[Richard]: bmcweb code is fully up-streamed. We don't have a code to do
the patch method call. Please go ahead.
> 3) Are there plans to upstream the recipe file for service-config-manager?

[Richard]: Yes, need to. It is here
https://github.com/Intel-BMC/openbmc/blob/intel/meta-openbmc-mods/meta-common/recipes-phosphor/srvcfg-manager/srvcfg-manager_git.bb
(Don't mind if you can add the same).
> 4) The interface exposed by the application looked different from this
> (https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/blob/master/xyz/openbmc_project/Control/Service/Attributes.interface.yaml)

[Richard]: Yes, it got updated, as the plan was to allow the temporary
disable of service, and similarly permanent blocking of service using
mask functionality exposed by systemd1. Interface needs to be updated.
> 5) For disabling out of band IPMI, there could be multiple instances
> of phosphor-ipmi-net that needs to be disabled/masked. How do we plan
> to achieve that? I had couple of options in mind. Let me know your
> thoughts.
>      a) Get all object paths of the service-config-manager which match
> phosphor-ipmi-net( phosphor_2dipmi_2dnet) and then disable each interface.
>      b) Use the "ListUnits" method on "/org/freedesktop/systemd1" and
> get the object paths of phosphor-ipmi-net instances.

[Richard]: Internally service-config-manager does ListUnits, and adds
all the phosphor-ipmi-net instances in it's tree. From application
level, querying all the objects exposed by service-config-manager itself
is enough. This is done already in order to disable RMCP+ in one of our
oem IPMI command -
https://github.com/openbmc/intel-ipmi-oem/blob/master/src/bmccontrolservices.cpp#L141