obmc-console design for multi host support

Vijay Khemka vijaykhemka at fb.com
Wed Mar 4 11:22:05 AEDT 2020

Perfect, It is working for all four server for me.

On 3/2/20, 8:03 PM, "Andrew Jeffery" <andrew at aj.id.au> wrote:

    On Fri, 28 Feb 2020, at 18:00, Vijay Khemka wrote:
    > On 2/27/20, 2:05 AM, "openbmc on behalf of Andrew Jeffery"
    >
    >     ```
    >     $ ls -1 /etc/obmc-console
    >     client.2200.conf
    >     server.ttyVUART0.conf
    >     ```
    > What are other contents of client and server conf file other than socket-id?

    Whatever else you were previously specifying for the server.

    >     So to map the client associated with port 2200 to the server associated
    >     with ttyVUART0 we set the same socket-id value in both files:
    >
    > Can this socket-id be any random word and can this be same across multiple
    > Host (client/server) configuration. I mean, do we need different socket-id for
    > client.2200 and client.2201 or it can be same.

    The socket-id is a unique portion for the unix domain socket created by the
    obmc-console-server instance. The server needs to know this because it needs
    to know what to name the pipe; the client needs to know it as it needs to form
    the abstract socket name to which to connect.

    In general unless you're looking to expose the same console on _different_
    network ports, you want to pair each client with a unique server.

    Here's an ASCII diagram:

                   +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
                   |                                                                                            |
                   |       obmc-console-client      unix domain socket         obmc-console-server              |
                   |                                                                                            |
                   |     +---------------------+                           +------------------------+           |
                   |     | client.2201.conf    |  +---------------------+  | server.ttyVUART1.conf  |           |
               +---+--+  +---------------------+  |                     |  +------------------------+  +--------+-------+
    Network    | 2201 +-->                     +->+ @obmc-console.host1 +<-+                        <--+ /dev/ttyVUART1 |   UARTs