Help needed: BMC vendors develop core root of trust

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Wed Jul 29 02:42:12 AEST 2020

Are representatives from BMC vendors such as ASPEED and Nuvoton part of
the OpenBMC community?
Per the OCP security workgroup [1] disciussion on in 2020-07-28 (notes:
[2]) and with respect to BMC Secure and trusted boot designs [3], how
should we proceed to develop core root of trust in systems or platforms
that use BMCs?

The OCP security workgroup is interested in creating standards for BMC
and platform-level core root of trust; these would cover the BMC
hardware, and OpenBMC could use them to implement a standard solution.
Quite frankly, this area is is beyond my knowledge: my only purpose here
is to make introductions needed to better secure future systems.

- Joseph

[1]: https://www.opencompute.org/wiki/Security
[2]:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o5Vx8QFfHX_AO9pNw5wEjVNeCQ516P55ef71dhz4f6M/edit#gid=0