Why IPv6AcceptRA is disabled in phosphor-network

Ratan Gupta ratagupt at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Jul 10 22:01:17 AEST 2020

Hi David,

On 7/7/20 4:39 PM, David Wang (王振宇) wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I want to set DHCPv6 to enable by default in my BMC.
> That is, I can delete /etc/systemd/network/00-bmc-eth*.network
> and reboot and still have DHCPv6 reachable.
>
> But I notice that IPv6AcceptRA is disabled in phosphor-network
> in order not to handle the ipv6 routing advertisement message periodically.
> See: https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-networkd/+/8361
Currently phosphor-networkd doesn't support SLAAC(DHCPV6, Router
advertised address).

> Why we need to avoid handling RA periodically?

If you have bad router configured in network which keeps sending the
routing prefix frequently, phopshor-networkd frequently refreshing its
D-bus objects.It can be fixed as ignore the refreshing of the Dbus
objects if there is a D-bus object entry for the given IP address.

> Does it cause any bad effect?
> If I want to keep the acceptance RA, how should I configure it?
> Or should I just patch "IPv6AcceptRA=true" in phosphor-network of my BMC?
If we fix the behavior as suggested above there should not be a problem.