Backport isl68137 hwmon Driver

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Thu Jul 2 09:25:38 AEST 2020

Hi Adam,

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 23:16, Adam Vaughn <adam.vaughn.xh at renesas.com> wrote:

> Hello, OpenBMC List,
>

> Renesas recently published a patch to the kernel isl68137 hwmon driver which adds support for our current line of digital PWM voltage regulators. This patch is included in the 5.7 release of the kernel. (See https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/?qt=grep&q=isl68137)
>

> Many of our customers are OpenBMC users so we would like to integrate this new functionality into your codebase to support their current system developments.
>

> How may we best include our code in the OpenBMC tree?

We have documentation on how to submit patches here:

https://github.com/openbmc/linux/wiki/SubmittingPatches

If you're not familiar with git there will be some work required to
learn how to use the tooling to do what you're after. I'm on IRC in
UTC+9.5 timezone if you would like to ask more questions.

The tldr is you want to cherry pick the patch on the current openbmc
kernel branch (dev-5.4), create a patch file from that, and send it to
the list. The git commands go something like this.

First create a checkout of the openbmc kernel tree, and pull down the
latest commits from Linus' tree:

git clone https://github.com/openbmc/linux && cd linux
git remote add upstream
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
git fetch upstream

Now that we have the commits from Linus' tree, and the openbmc dev-5.4
branch checked out, we can cherry pick the patches onto the openbmc
tree.

git cherry-pick -xs <mysha>
git format-patch -1 --to=openbmc at lists.ozlabs.org
--subject-prefix="PATCH linux dev-5.4"
git send-email --suppress-cc=body 0001-my-great-patch

If there are multiple patches, the workflow is as follows. Note that
you will need to stop and edit the cover letter after the
git-format-patch step.

git cherry-pick -xs <mysha1>
git cherry-pick -xs <mysha2>
git cherry-pick -xs <mysha3>
git format-patch HEAD~3..HEAD -o mypatches --cover-letter
--to=openbmc at lists.ozlabs.org --subject-prefix="PATCH linux dev-5.4"
git send-email --suppress-cc=body mypatches/*.patch

I'm shenki on IRC if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Joel