BIOS, Hypervisor, and OS detailed boot progress in Redfish

Deepak Kodihalli dkodihal at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jan 29 23:10:01 AEDT 2020

On 29/01/20 2:23 am, Andrew Geissler wrote:

> I think our goal should be to provide a high level summary of the boot from
> the BIOS, to the Hypervisor, to the OS.
>
> Something like this?
> Unknown -> MotherboardInit -> MemoryInit -> SecondaryProcInit ->
>          -> HypervisorStart -> HypervisorStandby -> OSStart -> OSRunning
>
> These would need PLDM commands for the host to send these down so maybe the
> PLDM specifications provides a hint on what these should be? I see this doc[4]
> has a "Boot Progress" State Set but a lot of these just don't make much sense
> to me.

[4] does have states for the flow you've described above, mostly. Also,
the state set enums can have specific meanings once they're associated
to a sensor (or an effecter), in fact they have to be interpreted in
conjunction with the sensor or effecter. So for eg a state enum such as
"boot started" can be associated with both a logical sensor monitoring
the hypervisor boot and a logical sensor monitoring the OS boot.

Regards,
Deepak