No sensors displayed in webUI

James Feist james.feist at linux.intel.com
Wed Jan 22 10:50:53 AEDT 2020

On 1/21/20 3:00 PM, Gunnar Mills wrote:

> On 1/21/2020 1:02 PM, James Feist wrote:
>> On 1/21/20 12:17 AM, Max Power wrote:
>>>
>>> Any chance to get the "bug in dbus-sensors" fixed in the near future?
>>
>> I have no plans on changing dbus-sensors, since this works with
>> Redfish, and Redfish is the future back-end for the WebUI. I'd be fine
>> if someone wants to add unit support for an intermediate fix. That or
>> we could finish this patch and get the WebUI moved over.
>>
>> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-webui/+/28342
>>

> I support moving the WebUI to Redfish but moving the sensor page to
> Redfish, I feel hides the actual problem.
> I think we should follow the phosphor-dbus-interfaces.

I tried to update the interface, but last time I got hit with that I had
to prove that witherspoon fan control still worked without having access
to such a system, and the Qemu model didn't offer sensor scanning. This
was after I'd already spent a large amount of time getting buy-in.

> If we don't follow the interfaces, how when writing code, whether
> phoshor-webui code or bmcweb code, do you know what to expect?
>
> If "Unit" is redundant information, then I feel it should be removed
> from phosphor-dbus-interfaces and stricter requirements on the sensor
> path should be added.

I'm fine with someone adding Unit if they need it.