Sensor Data Record ( SDR) support

Emily Shaffer emilyshaffer at google.com
Fri Jan 3 11:40:16 AEDT 2020

Currently (most) SDRs are populated at build time. It is certainly
feasible to add support for runtime-provided SDRs, but it's a somewhat
large effort, and I don't think I've heard of anybody planning it
(correct me if I'm wrong, anybody). Your best bet is to take a look at
how "ipmi_entity_get_sdr" works and try to come up with something
along those lines.

"Get Device SDR"
https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-host-ipmid/blob/master/sensorhandler.cpp#L914
(This has a couple other calls for FRU and entity SDRs inside it,
which operate similarly to sensor SDRs. FRU SDRs are populated the
same as sensors, but entity SDRs are populated at runtime from a JSON;
see https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-host-ipmid/blob/master/scripts/entity-example.md)

A sample sensor SDR config:
https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-host-ipmid/blob/master/scripts/sensor-example.yaml

By the way, the method I usually use for checking if IPMI supports a
given command is to look for these kinds of callback registration
methods. This one contains the callbacks for the Sensor NetFn,
including everything we do about SDRs today:
https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-host-ipmid/blob/master/sensorhandler.cpp#L1107

 - Emily