Request for Feedback :: Time Mode setting in timemanager

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Fri Feb 21 03:33:26 AEDT 2020

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 12:07:06PM +0530, Vishwanatha Subbanna wrote:
> Thanks for the good discussion on this.
>
> Patrick, I see you mentioned the TimeOwner in your response. TimeOwner was
> another thing that was disliked by the users and I had sent an email couple
> months ago asking if anyone still needs it. I did not see anyone saying they
> need. I then proposed removing TimeOwner feature.
>
> So, if we want to make it simpler, we would want to:
>
> - Remove TimeOwner concept
> - Remove the deferred updates to Manual / NTP settings.
>
> Please let me know if you see anything that might be affected by this ?.

I tried to provide history as best as I recollect, mostly to be helpful.

As I've mentioned elsewhere in this thread, Facebook servers use a
Host-owned RTC.  Unless someone can speak to non-Power servers that have
a BMC-owned RTC, this might only affect IBM(*).  You'll need to decide what
impact removing this feature may have to you and your customers.

If you'd like to put together a proposal and seek feedback on what the
potential side effects for specific customer classes might be, I can
certainly do that, but right now I don't really have enough information
on what the "new" design would be just from those two bullets.

(*) - And OpenPower.
--
Patrick Williams