BIOS, Hypervisor, and OS detailed boot progress in Redfish

Andrew Geissler geissonator at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 03:42:53 AEDT 2020

> On Jan 29, 2020, at 6:10 AM, Deepak Kodihalli <dkodihal at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> On 29/01/20 2:23 am, Andrew Geissler wrote:
>> I think our goal should be to provide a high level summary of the boot from
>> the BIOS, to the Hypervisor, to the OS.
>> Something like this?
>> Unknown -> MotherboardInit -> MemoryInit -> SecondaryProcInit ->
>>         -> HypervisorStart -> HypervisorStandby -> OSStart -> OSRunning
>> These would need PLDM commands for the host to send these down so maybe the
>> PLDM specifications provides a hint on what these should be? I see this doc[4]
>> has a "Boot Progress" State Set but a lot of these just don't make much sense
>> to me.
>
> [4] does have states for the flow you've described above, mostly. Also, the state set enums can have specific meanings once they're associated to a sensor (or an effecter), in fact they have to be interpreted in conjunction with the sensor or effecter. So for eg a state enum such as "boot started" can be associated with both a logical sensor monitoring the hypervisor boot and a logical sensor monitoring the OS boot.

ok, thanks for all the feedback everyone. Looking at the “Boot Progress” in the
pldm doc[4], and taking into account Brad’s comment, how about the below for a
Redfish enumeration?

Based on Deepak’s comment, there’s a mechanism to map a Boot Progress value
to the system firmware or the OS so I take that into account below.

Redfish Enum  |  PLDM Boot Progress Mapping

MotherBoardInit -> SystemFirmware-“22 Baseboard or Motherboard Initialization”
PrimaryProcInit -> SystemFirmware-“26 Primary Processor Initialization"
SecondaryProcInit -> SystemFirmware-“5 Secondary Processor(s) Initialization”
MemoryInit -> SystemFirmware-“3 Memory Initialization”
PCIResourceConfig -> SystemFirmware-“9 PCI Resource Configuration”
SystemFirmwareComplete -> SystemFirmware-“2 Boot Completed”
OSStart -> SystemFirmware-“21 Starting Operating System Boot Process”
OSRunning -> OS-“2 Boot Completed"

Andrew