Seek feedback: BMC console and debug info

Vijay Khemka vijaykhemka at fb.com
Thu Aug 27 02:51:05 AEST 2020

From: openbmc <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com at lists.ozlabs.org> on behalf of Zhenfei Tai <ztai at google.com>
Date: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 at 8:24 PM
To: OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc at lists.ozlabs.org>
Subject: Seek feedback: BMC console and debug info

Hi,

We have worked with our vendor on a system that provides console and debug information, which can be useful in times of debugging BMC issues.

On a high level, we use obmc-console<https://github.com/openbmc/obmc-console> and phosphor-debug-collector<https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-debug-collector> to collect data.

  *   obmc-console: We collect console inputs from the host and save to local log files (max 8 files of 1 MB size with rotation.)
There is already an application name phosphor-hostlogger which saves console data in a file.

  *   phosphor-debug-collector: We run this process on the BMC with no modification.
For the interface, the data is exposed via bmcweb where there are a pair of URIs for console inputs and debug collector respectively.
e.g.

  *   /redfish/v1/Systems/system/LogServices/Console -- Enable/disable console inputs data collection.
  *   /redfish/v1/Systems/system/LogServices/ConsoleDownload -- Download the log files in a zipped file.
It will be great if we can get some feedback on whether the community finds such a system useful and advice to improve the design.

Thanks,
Zhenfei