sdbusplus - const/readonly flags

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Thu Aug 27 01:10:19 AEST 2020

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 03:52:42PM -0500, Adriana Kobylak wrote:
> On 2020-08-25 10:00, Patrick Williams wrote:
>
> >    * I expect some of the 'const' flags in phosphor-dbus-interfaces are
> >      wrong and should be changed to 'readonly'.  I have collected a
> > list
> >      of them in a gist[4].  If you really intend to mean "this property
> >      will never change during the life of an object" continue to use
> >      'const', but if you mean "this property shall not be changed by
> >      clients", use 'readonly' (and probably also add 'emits_change').
>
> There are also some properties in phosphor-dbus-interfaces with
> descriptions that say "read-only property", and the implementation is
> enforcing it. It may good for the owners to revisit those as well and
> see if a 'read-only' flag is applicable.

Yes, that's also a good point.  If there are any descriptions that say
read-only property we should transition those to using the read-only
flag so it is enforced automatically at a code level.

Here is another gist with all the variations I found of "read-only".
https://gist.github.com/williamspatrick/03d72260982332c786770d0678644f94

--
Patrick Williams