Default Gateway for a system v/s Default gateway per Interface

Ratan Gupta ratagupt at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Apr 29 01:16:39 AEST 2020

Hi Jonathan,

On 4/28/20 1:00 AM, Johnathan Mantey wrote:
> Ratan,
>
> Can you provide more info about how you plan to implement this?
I am not getting, Do you mean to say how to get the per interface
gateway from system?  that would be through netlink, and during
configuration we would use the systemd-networkd file configuration.

> The Redfish schemas already have a per IP addr Gateway entry, which
> OBMC is ignoring. Is it better to modify the existing D-Bus schema
> (i.e. versioning discussion), or just use what is presently in existence?
Redfish schema are getting changed to accommodate this through the
following issue https://github.com/DMTF/Redfish/issues/3609.

The above issue(gateway/interface) exist only for the IPv4 redfish
schema, IPv6 redfish is already having default gateway per interface

http://redfish.dmtf.org/schemas/v1/EthernetInterface.v1_5_1.json#/definitions/EthernetInterface

> That said, doing as you propose melds better with how IPMI (i.e Set
> LAN Configuration Parameter 12) works.
>
> As Patrick pointed out, there's no IPMI or Redfish control over the
> routing metric parameter. What are your thoughts on how to reconcile
> applying a metric value?
We will go with default metric value as today as underlying stack tries
for fallback gateway.

Ratan