Call for Gardening Tasks

Richard Hanley rhanley at google.com
Fri Apr 10 07:54:26 AEST 2020

Hi everyone,

Last week I started a thread on Open BMC Gardening
<https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2020-April/021100.html>, and I
wanted to kick off the process.

The basic idea here is to get a survey of various improvement tasks
throughout OpenBMC.  Some things might be small refactoring or changes that
can be done incrementally (i.e. weeding the garden). Other tasks might be
more research or structural (i.e. excavating the garden).

Just getting these in writing can be helpful for others to gauge what they
should focus on. It also helps leave breadcrumbs for any new developer
interested in the subject.

So here's how I see this working. Anyone who has some ideas can reply to
this thread with a short to medium description.  Try to avoid new features,
and instead look at ways we could improve the status quo. Think about
changes and tools that would make your day to day life better.

>From there we can do a write up about what we know about the issue.  This
can function as an early stage design doc that gives a broad overview on
where the dev's head is at right now.

Finally, we can do a quarterly review to keep the garden refreshed.
Obviously, things can change between that time, but having a semi-regular
cadence will hopefully give us a better chance of keeping this up to date.

- Richard