OpenBMC Janitor/Gardener

Richard Hanley rhanley at google.com
Thu Apr 2 04:34:53 AEDT 2020

Hi,

I was recently looking into the linux kernel introduction, and I noticed
the kernel janitors https://kernelnewbies.org/KernelJanitors.  It seems
like a pretty interesting idea, and I've been thinking about janitorial
tasks in OpenBMC.

For some context, we've had a handful of new developers join recently, and
I've been looking for some small refactoring projects that they could work
on upstream.

So I guess there are two parts to this email.  First does anyone have some
bite sized improvement task that's been on their wishlist, but there hasn't
been anyone around to work on it.  (In particular things around bmcweb and
phosphor dbus interfaces would be appreciated).

The other thing is, what do people think would be the best way to publicize
these kinds of refactoring/janitorial/gardening tasks. One way would be to
create a *gardening* tag in the github issues.  That way people can set up
filters for ideas that experts think are a good idea, but probably won't
need deep design discussions to get started.

Another way would be to have a monthly/quarterly wishlist gathering on the
mailing list.  That way we have some dedicated time to discuss issues of
the day, and put them together into a markdown document (like a per project
version of the security group wishlist
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Security-working-group#security-feature-wish-list
)

Maybe this is already happening, and I just haven't noticed it.  Anywho,
hope you are all doing well.

Cheers,
Richard