Old PREFERRED_PROVIDERs using python2

Andrew Geissler geissonator at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 01:27:35 AEST 2020

> On Apr 6, 2020, at 4:50 PM, Patrick Williams <patrick at stwcx.xyz> wrote:
>
> As part of the python2 -> python3 migration I was building a few
> machines to confirm that they did not have python2 installed in any way.
> I noticed right off that tiogapass does.
>
> Tiogapass has obmc-phosphor-chassisd and obmc-phosphor-flashd pulled in,
> which are old python2 applications that aren't suppose to be used
> anymore.  I did some investigation and these are picked up due to
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER values in phosphor-defaults.inc.
>
> Are there better PREFERRED_PROVIDERs we should update in
> phosphor-defaults now?
>
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/obmc-chassis-mgmt and
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/obmc-flash-mgmt both seems to be a custom
> package group for most machines.  Can someone with more expertise in
> these subsystems define a better default (or set of packages to make up
> that default)?

phosphor-state-manager and phosphor-software-manager? Or should it just
be “packagegroup-obmc-apps”? I have a feeling we’ve moved away from
the original intent of those and there may not be a good mapping.

Most people seem to overload obmc-chassis-mgmt with their machine
layer specific apps.

On a side note, I think I’ve seen people starting to get away from the
_virtual stuff as well. The extra level of indirection has alway added a
complexity that never seemed to be worth it.