Unable to boot OpenBMC image in QEMU for AST2500

Stephen Beckwith embeddedsteve at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 06:44:21 AEST 2019

Mr. Jeffery,
   Thank you for your insights and comments.
1) RE: git clone - well, for whatever reason, this worked today. . .
(internet gremlins, github trolls, who knows).
2) RE: building:  I reviewed some documentation again, and pieced together
that I had built the wrong image (again).  So, as I now have a "fresh"
clone, I set about with some different steps towards building an
ast2500-evb image.
 -  I verified that the qemu-system-arm, listed in the documentation
provided by Mr. Geissler, is indeed a 4.1.0 version, and it does contain
the necessary machine support:
sbeckwit at ubuntu:/usr/bin$ qemu-system-arm -machine help | grep ast
ast2500-evb          Aspeed AST2500 EVB (ARM1176)
ast2600-evb          Aspeed AST2600 EVB (Cortex A7)
3) after 168 minutes, I the "baking" was done and checking the
deploy/images directory, I found the ast2500-evb files: kernel, u-boot,
initramfs, mtd image, etc.  Most Excellent!
4) I then, as you suggested, reviewed the documentation (again) and crafted
some minimal parameters to running QEMU.  And Behold:
Phosphor OpenBMC (Phosphor OpenBMC Project Reference Distro) 0.1.0
evb-ast2500 ttyS4

evb-ast2500 login: root
Password:
root at evb-ast2500:~# uname -a
Linux evb-ast2500 5.2.0-c01e98d #1 Wed Sep 25 16:54:08 UTC 2019 armv6l
GNU/Linux
 - I got in to this booted image under QEMU.   (not the blinking light we
Embedded FW Engineers like to see on our boards when something works, but
this will do just fine).
5) RE: runqemu script - My Python is rusty, but I'll take a gander at it,
since I will have some time here, as we are only working on an initial PoC
for this.  The next attempt will be to try and see if we can boot this on
our reference platform (AST2500 based).
 - I maybe getting back to you should I have an update on this script.

Thank you for your assistance and support.

Regards,
Stephen Beckwith