Unable to boot OpenBMC image in QEMU for AST2500

Stephen Beckwith embeddedsteve at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 23:22:24 AEST 2019

Mr. Geissler;
    Thank you for your comments/suggestion.
1)  I fetched the version referenced in the document.  This replaced the
installed version in /usr/bin on the host system.  The previous version was
12MB and version was:
sbeckwit at ubuntu:~/yocto_dev/openbmc-master/build$ qemu-system-arm.old
-version
QEMU emulator version 2.11.1(Debian 1:2.11+dfsg-1ubuntu7.18)
Copyright (c) 2003-2017 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU Project developers
 - the “new” version installed is 65MB and is version:
sbeckwit at ubuntu:~/yocto_dev/openbmc-master/build$ sudo qemu-system-arm
--help
QEMU emulator version 4.1.0 (v4.0.0-rc1-2953-g0d7c1ec-dirty)
Copyright (c) 2003-2019 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU Project developers
 -  The “new” version did not work either.
2) Per the command line arguments being passed to qemu-system-arm, the copy
of this is a “built” copy as part of the openbmc build process, located in
the following directory and is the newer version:
sbeckwit at ubuntu:~/yocto_dev/openbmc-master/build/tmp/work/qemuarm-openbmc-linux-gnueabi/obmc-phosphor-image/1.0-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/bin$
./qemu-system-arm -version
QEMU emulator version 4.1.0
Copyright (c) 2003-2019 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU Project developers
3) My initial build of the openbmc project was to “bake” the “meta-aspeed”
- per some information/notes I found in the openbmc documentation.  (it
also said you needed to source the setup script to set this up - which I
did).  So stepping back, maybe this was the wrong target to build.   So I
spend another 2 hrs, 32 minutes “baking” the “meta-evb”, the rational being
that maybe the first image was missing something required by qemu (i.e.
some boot/driver stuff??).   After this was built, and using the “runqemu”
script, alas, the same result:  qemu will not boot and run the image.

Mr. Jeffery;
   Thank you for your comments/suggestion, I will work on this approach
today.  Regarding your question:
1)  re: cloning - I received an “access denied” message, eventhough I was
logged into gihub (using my personal account information).  Therefore, used
a zipped version that was downloaded ~ 1 week ago.

2) re: qemu machine - the qemu machine being used is the one that was built
as part fo the opembmc project.  If this qemu machine won’t work, then why
is it built as part of the project?  Why are there 13 copies of this
machine scattered through out the filesystem, consuming ~ 564MB of space,
if it’s the “wrong” machine?
 - so where do I obtain the “BMC-specific machine” ?  The one I installed
per Mr. Geissler?

3) if OpenBMC doesn’t properly integrate into the rumqemu scripts, then:
 A) why is this script here? B) why hasn’t anyone taken the time/effort to
correct the script so that it will integrate properly with OpenBMC?

4)  I will review the information in the link provided in your response.
Thank you.

Regards,
Stephen Beckwith