Resend: 32 character minimum password requirement

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Wed Sep 25 00:44:40 AEST 2019

I am re-sending this email from Jen Spatz in plain text (not HTML) so
more people will be able to read it.  There was some discussion recently
in  IRC about this topic.  The original email is archived here:
https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2019-September/018173.html

------- begin message:

We’ve created design mockups for the 32 character minimum password
requirement in the Add/Modify modal. We’d appreciate your feedback.

Context:
IPMI requires a password of 20 characters or less. But, some customers
have a 32 character minimum password required for ROOT accounts.

Designs:

In “Add User” modal:
If user password exceeds 20 characters, validation text notifies the
admin/user that:
      1. their initial password is too long
      2. they will later have the opportunity to change their password
to a longer length
Prototype: Add User Modal

In “Modify User” modal
If user password is changed to a length of over 20 characters, a warning
notifies the admin/user that a password of 21 characters or more will
result in the user losing IPMI access

Prototype: Modify User Modal

These particular prototypes are not interactive.

To comment, please click on the bottom right of the screen where it says
“Comments”

Github Issue:

https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-webui/issues/93

Thanks very much,