Machine name in Code update

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Sat Sep 21 07:53:08 AEST 2019

On 9/20/19 1:34 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:

> On 9/20/19, 8:55 AM, "Joseph Reynolds" <jrey at linux.ibm.com> wrote:
>

>      On 9/19/19 9:21 PM, Lei YU wrote:
>      > On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 2:15 AM Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka at fb.com> wrote:
>      >> Team,
>      >>
>      >> I am trying to add a feature of verifying machine name while upgrading BMC image. I have submitted a couple of patches, 1. Which adds machine name in manifest file and 2. Which verifies machine name from manifest to os-release file. Below are 2 gerrit review patch.
>      >>
>      >> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__gerrit.openbmc-2Dproject.xyz_-23_c_openbmc_meta-2Dphosphor_-2B_25324_&d=DwIDaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=v9MU0Ki9pWnTXCWwjHPVgpnCR80vXkkcrIaqU7USl5g&m=arMHhrzzBHUMyI_30avg7eppPTw9DIZJoNVYq20Hro0&s=7fog-3ezFneiNbNeFTsBxOq5eciSgB21JCovcFMEJXk&e=
>      >>
>      >> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__gerrit.openbmc-2Dproject.xyz_-23_c_openbmc_phosphor-2Dbmc-2Dcode-2Dmgmt_-2B_25344_&d=DwIDaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=v9MU0Ki9pWnTXCWwjHPVgpnCR80vXkkcrIaqU7USl5g&m=arMHhrzzBHUMyI_30avg7eppPTw9DIZJoNVYq20Hro0&s=Z-RwTQ2KomMzSaMUGqyarcfRf9EfKeQE5CGtfeqMfRg&e=
>      >>
>      >>
>      >> I have received some valuable feedback on design approach and I agreed with some of them. Let me explain complete thought here and please provide your valuable feedback as well as new ideas.
...snip...

>      I see the check for machine type as a step in the right direction, so I
>      am in favor of it.  Thanks!
>
> Thanks, I will start with current plan and add more feature further.

Sounds good.  We should consider a formal design which lays out the
problem we are trying to solve, defines concepts, and describes
mechanisms and how they interact with existing features like digital
signatures.  For example:
- Problem: How to prevent wrong images loaded onto the BMC.
- Problem: How to prevent unintended downgrade of firmware images.
- Concept: a series of BMC images which all  have the same MACHINE type.
- Concept: What it means for one firmware image to be an upgrade or a
downgrade of another image.
- Note: the concept of an upgrade between two firmware images is only
meaningful when they both have the same machine type.
- Example design:
https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/designs/psu-firmware-update.md

I'm behind the curve here.  I am not even familiar with Redfish
UpdateService.  Does OCP or TCG have anything for us here?

- Joseph