RMCP support

Alexander Amelkin a.amelkin at yadro.com
Tue Sep 17 19:16:10 AEST 2019

13.09.2019 21:41, Vernon Mauery wrote:
>> What about RMCP pings used for device discovery as described in section 13.13 of
>> IPMI specification?
> I don't have any problem in particular with RMCP Ping, but it is not
> implemented. It is not required by RMCP+ as far as I can tell. The spec
> calls out that is *is* required for RMCP, and can be implemented for
> RMCP+.
>
>> AFAIK, it's not supported in OpenBMC and so `ipmiutil discover` fails to
>> discover OpenBMC devices.
> From what I can tell, the spec suggests that you send a Get Channel
> Authentication Capabilities request to discover RMCP+ devices.

True, but you can't send a broadcast GetChAuthCap and just gather all the
answers like you can do with RMCP ping.

`idiscover` is much easier and faster to use than `idiscover -g -b 172.16.1.1 -e
172.16.1.254`. The latter takes like 15 minutes to complete versus like 2
seconds for plain `idiscover`.

Do you think implementing RMCP ping support in OpenBMC is feasible?

With best regards,
Alexander Amelkin,
BIOS/BMC Team Lead, YADRO
https://yadro.com