phosphor-ipmi-flash: Update over eSPI interface

Oskar Senft osk at google.com
Thu Sep 12 01:23:36 AEST 2019

Hi Harry

I've done some experiments with the USB virtual NIC on the AST2500 and
found that to work rather nicely.

We're currently investigating in my team to use that interface as the
primary method for transferring data between the host and the BMC. From
what I can tell, this seems to be the fastest, most secure method. The
advantage also is that it doesn't need any low-level HW / memory access on
the host. However, the host still needs to have the USB NIC on its side
supported (driver) and configured (IP address). For our environment
(Linux), this is easy to achieve.

It should be possible to update the phosphor-ipmi-flash BMC and host side
implementation to use a USB NIC for data transfer. However, we haven't
investigated those details yet.

Other methods for data transfer (LPC, PCIe, eSPI, SuperI/O) all seem to
open up a large security hole in the AST2500.

Oskar.