Updating BMC GUI Front End Framework

Wang, Kuiying kuiying.wang at intel.com
Tue Sep 10 12:30:15 AEST 2019

Yes, it's time to do it.
I suggest to use Vue, there are several reasons:

1.       MIT license https://github.com/vuejs/vue/blob/dev/LICENSE

2.       The sizes of the libraries: Vue is about 80KB, much smaller than Angular (500+KB), React(100KB)

It is sensitive on space for our OpenBMC embedded system. So Vue is the best candidate.

3.       It is already used by big internet company like Gitlab/Alibaba.

4.       Vue is the most popular frameworks, according to the number of stars on GitHub projects for Angular, React, and Vue.
Angular                React      Vue

# Watchers         3.3k                        3.7k        5.7k

# Stars                  43k                         71k         122k

# Forks                 11k                         16k         17k

5.       Vue is two-way binding

6.       Vue is based on JS+HTML, it's easy for existing AngularJS developer to transfer, but not like Angular (TS) and React (JSX)

Thanks,
Kwin.

On 9/6/19 9:51 AM, Derick Montague wrote:

> Hello,

> We would like to start the discussion of migrating the BMC GUI off of

> AngularJS. The AngularJS long term support period is 3 years and

> started on 7/1/2018 and will end on 7/30/2021. You can read more about

> this on the angular blog -

> https://blog.angular.io/stable-angularjs-and-long-term-support-7e077635ee9c.

> The most likely options for migration are Angular, React, and Vue.

> LogRocket has a decent comparison of the 3 frameworks -

> https://blog.logrocket.com/angular-vs-react-vs-vue-a-performance-comparison/.<https://blog.logrocket.com/angular-vs-react-vs-vue-a-performance-comparison/>

> There is also a really interesting framework called Svelte for

> building reactive apps that might be worth considering as well -

> https://github.com/sveltejs/svelte

> My first thought based on the size of the application, the need for a

> smaller footprint, and the benefit of a small learning curve would

> be Vue. However, I'm just throwing that out there to start the

> conversation.

Derick, thanks for looking into this.  I agree a small footprint and

short learning curve are important criteria.   Some other criteria to

consider:

- Licensing terms, looking for permissive licenses like Apache 2.0 or MIT.

- Community support, especially for security fixes.

- Joseph

> Does anyone else have a preference on the next front end framework?

Thanks,
Kwin.