Curiosity: Why is the OpenBMC layer named "phosphor"

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Tue Oct 29 01:12:31 AEDT 2019

> On Oct 23, 2019, at 8:21 PM, Muggeridge, Matt <matt.muggeridge2 at hpe.com> wrote:
>
> I see “phosphor” shows up all over the place in openbmc.  E.g. meta-phosphor is the OpenBMC layer.
>
> Is phosphor a project name that will evolve with OpenBMC generations or is it forever static?

At the moment it is static but that isn’t any kind of hard and fast rule.  It is typically used to distinguish a default or reference implementation but that definition and its usage is certainly fuzzy.

The first platform supported by this project back in 2015 was the barreleye system.  Barreleye is a kind of fish - it has a phosphorescent glow; meta-phosphor is a nod to those roots of the project.

thx - brad